Countless times I have heard people say:
- “My diet only works when I pass on fun social events and stay home to restrict BAD calories.”
- “I have good intentions but as soon as I get to the office my co-workers tempt me with desserts I just can’t say no to.”
- “I do so good when I am alone but as soon as I go out with friends I FALL OFF the wagon.”
- “This diet worked for me for me Monday-Thursday but the weekends were a free for all.”
- “I was doing great while I was at home but then I BLEW IT on vacation. I had to get my money’s worth with the all-inclusive vacation.”
BREAKING NEWS: DIETS DON’T WORK. PERIOD. If you are “going on” and “going off” diets you will unfortunately be stuck on that cycle forever…until YOU DECIDE TO STOP! You have the power to say NO to dieting and learn how to fuel your body.
Look at this image above. Do your current eating patterns fit into every ring of this bullseye? Do you find yourself trying to “be good” at home and work but then binging when you are out with friends or on vacation? It does not have to like that. Here are some great tips to support a healthy lifestyle in each aspect of the bullseye.
- You are in control of the food you bring into the home.
- You can have fun being creative with recipes.
- You have a fridge, freezer, and pantry stocked with all your favorite foods.
- Pack a lunch containing protein, grains, and veggies to sustain your blood sugar (NOT salad with only grilled chicken).
- Bring snacks to consume in the mid-morning and mid-afternoon to ward off intense cravings and a mid-day slump.
- Keep a large water bottle at your desk to stay hydrated.
- Don’t restrict food during the week and ONLY allow it on weekends. This will set you up for overconsumption.
- Drink a water between every alcoholic beverage you consume to help with hydration.
- Do not restrict calories going into a social event. This will leave you hangry and set you up for failure.
- Enjoy the local cuisine and do NOT restrict foods. Food is a huge part of experiencing new cultures.
- Enjoy physical activity; move your body and explore wherever you are going!
- Focus on what you can control:
- Hydration: carry bottled water everywhere you go to ensure you are hydrated! Water is found in every cell in our body; strive to hit half of your body weight in ounces of water per day!
- Snacks between meals: will help keep your blood sugar stable and hold you over until your next meal. It’s very easy to skip snacking while traveling. Next thing you know you are at a restaurant and HANGRY. It’s impossible to make healthier choices when you are hangry.
Click here to learn how to NOURISH YOUR BODY & DITCH DIETING FOREVER!