Sammy Previte, Registered Dietitian and co-owner of Dietitians of Palm Valley, was asked to speak on the Go Red for Women panel of medical professionals regarding Heart Disease Prevention. Watch the video above or read the main points below!
Nearly 1 in 3 kids or teens in the U.S. are overweight or obese, nearly three times the number in 1963. In fact, they say this may be the first generation not to outlive their parents. How does a parent balance teaching kids to eat healthy without creating an unhealthy obsession with their weight and image?
- They key is to shift the focus away from weight and focus on healthy behaviors. Focusing on weight can increase the risk of creating an unhealthy obsession with weight and body image.
- In our culture, everyone looks to a Google search for “quick weight loss”. We have NO idea who is sitting behind the computer writing the millions of artciles that will pop up in front of us.
- Children look to their peers, teachers, parents, friends, etc. for guidance and examples. If parents have a negative body image themselves and try to restrict foods in the house or label foods as “good” or “bad” then unhealthy habits will arise.
- Start by creating a positive relationship with food and positive body image and strive to make a behavior changes NOT weight loss.
- Children are always growing, therefore behavior change will be a more positive, beneficial, and sustainable outcome for their health.
I lose the same 10-15 pounds and then gain it back starting the cycle all over again. Is this merry go round of weight loss/weight gain bad for my health and heart? How do I get the weight off and keep it off?
- Yo-yo dieting constantly can be detrimental to your health and your body. If you have tried a diet before, ask yourself how sustainable that has been. The diet is the problem, NOT your body.
- The word calorie was created in the 1800’s in reference to fueling a machine. Society today is all about cutting/restricting/depriving calories to lose weight.
- A 1,200 calorie diet are the nutritional needs for a 2-year-old. Everyone older 2 years old needs to look at the energy needs for their age and activity level.
- Weight cycling is not good for our bodies—our bodies like to know that they are not starving and at a place of equilibrium. Focus on finding foods that fuels your body.
- Mindful eating and consuming nutrient dense food is the key to a sustainable diet. Again, do not focus on weight, but rather focus on sustainable behavior changes.
There is a lot of talk about diets like KETO, intermittent fasting, low carb. What is your take on these diets and how are they affecting Americans? What is the best and healthiest way to lose weight?
- Most all diets require the same things restriction, deprivation, and cut something out. Use the KETO diet as an example. The KETO diet is not the heart healthiest diet. It restricts carbohydrates and promotes the consumption of fat. Click here to see how we really feel about KETO!
- Think of this diet and your body as a bow and arrow, as you pull the string back that represents you restricting your body (saying: no carbs, no carbs, no carbs) and eventually you will hit a breaking point. Once you can’t take it anymore, you hit a breaking point and the arrow flies much further and you end up consuming way more carbs than if you would have been allowed to eat them in the first place.
- Creating well-rounded meals (including ALL foods) is a great way to eat healthy and fuel your body without restriction.
- The Mediterranean diet is essentially consuming all foods: fruits, veggies, protein, grains, fats (oils, avocados), and even wine!
- Want to know “the best diet ever”? The is no magic fix, learn how to build a healthy relationship with food and your body.
Finally, would each of you share your tip for women to live their best healthiest life? What’s the one thing you would tell the women here today that could change their life.
- Build a strong relationship with yourself and your body.
- Think of the things you say about your own body, would you every say that to your sister, friend, mother, girlfriend? Probably not, therefore saying it to yourself is not beneficial.
- Love your own body and fuel it with foods that nourish your body but also give you pleasure.
- ALL FOODS FIT!