Flaxseed, coconut oil, and acai have one thing in common: They’re some of the most popular “superfoods” from this past year! While these foods are undoubtedly healthy (and delicious)… one that’s missing from this list in cauliflower! Lots of new products are coming out featuring this super healthy vegetable, and for good reason. Cauliflower is considered one of the healthiest vegetables considering it contains compounds associated with decreasing risk of cancer, improving heart health, and reducing inflammation in the body.
If you dislike the taste of plain cauliflower, you’re in luck! Try any of these 4 ways to use cauliflower at your next meal or snack to get benefits without compromising your taste buds:
- Add it to your smoothie.
- Next time you make your favorite post-workout protein shake, add some frozen cauliflower rice to your smoothie! You’ll be surprised that you won’t taste the cauliflower as the other flavors mask it, and it also makes your smoothie extra THICK!
- Make (or buy) a cauliflower crust pizza.
- While there is nothing wrong with normal pizza, buying a cauliflower crust at Trader Joe’s or making it yourself is a great way to add more fiber to your traditional pizza. By choosing this crust you’ll be saving calories per slice and also sneak in a serving of vegetables to your meal.
- Cauliflower mashed potatoes.
- If you like mashed potatoes, you’ll definitely like this idea! When cooked and blended together, cauliflower mashed potatoes are a lower carb and calorie side dish that still packs savory flavor. Only difference if that you substitute cooked cauliflower for cooked white potatoes!
- Make an asian stir fry.
- Now nothing can replace rice… but cauliflower rice comes pretty darn close! While brown rice is important when making a stir fry because it is naturally high in fiber, adding cauliflower rice alongside regular rice can help you reduce how many carbohydrates you eat in your traditional stir fry meal.